- 800g lean stewing steak, diced
- 1 kg fresh green peas
- 30g butter
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 100g tomato passata (pureed tomatoes)
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litre beef stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat and sweat the onion for a few minutes until soft and starting to caramelize. Add the meat and sear for 10 minutes until browned on all sides. Add the shelled peas and let them cook for another few minutes.
Pour in the stock and tomato passata and season with salt and black pepper. Simmer very gently over a medium heat, uncovered, for about 1 hour until the sauce has reduced a little and the meat is tender.