- 800g canned chopped tomatoes plus their juices
- 3 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp flour
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 250g yogurt (preferably thick, Greek style)
- a few sprigs of coriander, optional to garnish
Lightly sauté the garlic and onion in the butter in a saucepan; when soft, add the fresh chopped ginger and cook together a minute or two longer.
Sprinkle in the flour and cook through, stirring, to cook the rawness out of the flour. When flour seems cooked through (slightly pasty and slightly translucent) stir in the tomatoes and the stock.
Cook together over medium heat until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and puree in a blender or use a stick blender.
Stir the yogurt until smooth, then add to the soup and mix well. Return the soup to the heat and cook over a low heat until hot. Season to taste, sprinke with a little chopped coriander if desired and serve with toasted bread.