- 500g lean beef mince
- 400g stale crustless bread
- 1 large egg
- 60g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 200 ml milk
- 1 clove of garlic
- 80g sultanas and pine nuts
- vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying
- 600g canned whole peeled tomatoes, crushed or pureed in a blender
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 20 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Soak the bread in a little milk. Squeeze gently to remove any excess liquid and place in a bowl with the mince, parsley and garlic. Mix well and add the egg, a pinch of salt, black pepper, the parmesan and sultanas and pine nuts. Combine thoroughly with your hands and shape into meatballs.
Heat the vegetable or sunflower oil in a large heavy pan and fry the meatballs over a medium heat for 25–30 minutes. Keep turning them carefully to prevent them catching on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Sweat the onion in a little olive oil in a heavy pan over a medium heat until soft and translucent. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the meatballs to the sauce and cook for 10 minutes to heat through.