For the Coriander-Mint Chutney
- 50g coriander leaves, chopped
- 25g fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1-2 green chilis, chopped (1-2 teaspoons, to taste)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- ½-1 tsp ground cumin (preferably toasted)
- ¼ tsp chaat masala
- 2 tbsp cashews or peanuts, chopped finely
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp water, or as needed
Penne with Arrabbiata Sauce:
- 350g penne pasta
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes or canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1/2-1 tsp hot chili pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt and pepper
Make the chutney: In a blender, pulse the coriander, mint, garlic, ginger, cumin, chaat masala to a smooth puree. Add the cashews and keep pulsing until it forms a smooth paste.
Add lemon juice and water and mix until it forms the desired consistency. The chutney lasts about a week, covered, in the refrigerator.
Make the arrabbiata sauce: In a large frying pan, heat the garlic in the olive oil with the red chili flakes. When softened, add the tomatoes – if using whole peeled tomatoes, chop roughly. Cook over a medium heat until thickened and tasty; season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, salt and cook the penne pasta until al dente.
Drain, reserving about 150 ml of the cooking water, and add the drained pasta to the tomato sauce, stirring together over a medium heat and adding some of the reserved pasta water, a few spoonfuls at a time, to help the sauce and pasta come together.