- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 300g dried brown lentils, boiled in water until cooked (or 2 cans of lentils)
- 500g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 hot dried chilli, finely crushed
- 1 litre water
Heat a deep saucepan and pour in a generous amount of oil to cover the bottom. Gently fry the chopped onion and minced garlic for about 10 minutes until they are soft and translucent. Once they have taken on some colour, add a tablespoon of water.
Add the cooked lentils to the saucepan, then add the peeled tomatoes, bay leaf, and crushed hot dried chilli. Let the mixture cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Add water and season with salt. Continue to simmer on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.